We all know that summer doesn’t come along alone, it always brings an invasion of mosquitoes and other bugs. It is excruciating because you cannot enjoy the summer to the fullest because of these little annoying bugs. Well, I decided it was time for a change. Since I don’t want to buy any commercial bug sprays, I decided that it might be best trying to do my own version. And I am so happy with the results that I want to share the recipe with you. Thus, if you want to keep mosquitoes away, keep reading and see how you can enjoy the summer with this efficient DIY bug repellent lotion.
It is also highly effective for the kids too, so you can use it without worrying it might hurt them, it is completely natural.
Here you have the ingredients you will need to make this amazing DIY bug repellent lotion:
– 1 cup of coconut oil
– 1/2 cup of shea butter
– around 1/4 cup of fresh rosemary leaves
– 1 teaspoon dried whole cloves
– 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme leaves
– 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
– 1/4 cup dried catnip leaves
– 2 tablespoons of mint leaves
– 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
– 10 drops of lavender and lemon essential oils
Check out these simple instructions so everything will turn out great:
1. In a glass bowl, add the coconut oil and the dried rosemary, cloves, thyme, cinnamon, catnip, and mint.
2. Then, place the glass bowl over a small saucepan with about 1 inch of water when it starts boiling.
3. Follow up with covering the bowl and keep it at high temperature for at least 30 minutes. That way, the oil will get a darker color and it will smell strong due to the rosemary. When you get this, it means you have a great and strong infused oil with the herbs you used.
4. The next step would be to strain the herbs using a cheesecloth.
5. Then, pour the oil back into the bain-marie.
6. Now would be the time to add the shea butter and start stirring until all the ingredients are melting. You should have a creamy consistency of a regular lotion.
7. You can now remove the glass jar from the heat and add the Vitamin E oil and 10 drops of lavender and lemon essential oils.
6. Store it in a glass container or your old lotion recipient.
In order to use this properly, make sure you are rubbing the lotion on dry skin areas to protect against mosquitos.